In recent times, we realized the need for hygiene products, immunity boosters and masks like never before. What we did was search on Google for the best immunity boosting foods and incorporated those in our daily diet; researched for best face masks and ordered for everyone in the house, to the best of our knowledge. Not sure of the purchase but that was the best we could do. New information was surfacing every day and we kept altering our protection mechanisms.
As research progressed there were questions that were answered like are immunity boosting foods enough? What type of masks really protect us? What was the right regime of sanitization, etc.
Here’s what we all need to know: preventative measures are our first line of defense. The best way to protect ourselves is to practice good hygiene and to make these recommendations part of our routine:
Keep things clean
- Wash our hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, if soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
“Boost” the Immune System
First, there are no exercises, foods or supplements that truly “boost” the immune system. Even if we could boost our immunity, it would likely be a bad idea since a “boosted” immune system would mean it’s working in overdrive—and that is often synonymous with inflammation and autoimmune disease.
However, what we can do is engage in healthy behaviors to support our health and immune function. Our body needs many nutrients in adequate amounts to support our daily functions, including those that help our immune system to work properly and help protect us against many diseases.
Wear a Mask
- A mask could be helpful to provide a barrier to limit the spread of potentially infectious droplets from someone who is infected or even the spread from asymptomatic people.
- Even WHO encourages the use of masks, which can act as a barrier to prevent the spread of the infections from the wearer to others.
- Since exposure has increased, it explains why face mask is important in unlocking quarantine in India. And hence it has become a permanent accessory in our house.
Buying new masks and what to look out for?
While I was looking to change the masks we got earlier, a brand that was advised to me was Welspun Health. My major requirements were that it should be #MadeToProtect and be comfortable as well. Honestly the mask from Welspun Health does just that! The anti-bacterial reusable mask is made from 100% cotton with anti-bacterial finish on both layers for protection. It provides 99.9% bacteria protection. It comes in pretty designs to choose from! It is also very comfortable and doesn’t press against the nose or cause suffocation as the material is breathable.
None of these preventive measures can work efficiently in isolation hence it needs to be a comprehensive strategy and hence hygiene, protection and sanitization need to be worked upon together. I hope you’re staying safe just like I am.